I thought this project was quite beautiful: http://storyteller.allesblinkt.com/
It’s a drawing machine that samples from the patent library and best selling books. From the website:
- The program downloads and parses a part of the text of a recent best-selling book.
- The algorithm eliminates all insignificant words like “I”, “and”, “to”, “for”, “the”, etc. The remaining words and their combinations are the keywords for the patent drawings.
- Using the keywords in chronological order, it searches for the key-patents.
- The program now searches for a path connecting the found key patents. This is possible because every patent contains several references to older patents – the so-called “prior art”.
- All key-patents and the patents connecting them semantically are arranged and printed.
- Goto step 1.
The result is a sort of infinite illustrated technical manual of technology and literature. I wish they could make a campier version which sampled lyrics from pop songs.
Be sure and watch the video.